Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Fountain Head - a catalyst

I had this friend of mine, who i thought was acting strange those days. I asked him whats wrong with you? you have become quite eccentric? He told me just three words- "THE FOUNTAIN HEAD". That's how it happened to me.

My whole journey through this book was an enthralling experience. Yes! An experience. Something i feel that everyone must go through. After that journey, my journey of life has become so easier and happier, that i never perceived any thing of such sort possible. You might be thinking that i am over-exaggerating. In fact this book is far beyond any level of Exaggeration. Let me have the privilege to give you a glimpse of whats in it.

The fountain head is the story of an architect Howard Roark(an individualist) and his struggle against the world, or rather it is the worlds struggle against him to bring him down or to break him of his principles. Ayn Rand through this book portrays Howard Roark(-the epitome of Self(I)ishness), as man who is intransigent and disinclined to change. She shows an explosive affair between Howard Roark and Dominique which makes the novel even more intriguing. Just read the novel to known the magnitude of the adjective 'Explosive'. An exact opposite of Howard Roark, Peter keatings is another main character whom you would ironically often relate to more than Roark. Through this novel the author preaches her philosophy of 'Individualism' and interprets that 'Ego(I)ism' is the top most 'head' of a 'fountain' which is depicted as the mans life.

This is the most effective philosophical work ever. It acts like a catalyst. The big difference from other such books is that it doesn't preach. As you read through this book you would imagine yourself like Keatings, and as the story unfolds you would want to be more like Roark. A catalyst will be set with in you for the change to occur.(this may only apply to people who are not happy with life).


I repeat that this is not even close to exaggeration. But I plead you, that if you happen to read this post before reading the novel, read the novel with an open mind. Expect nothing from the novel. cause as my philosophy goes "the more you expect, the less you get". :)

2 comments:

  1. Great! All the best with writing :) It is a delightful activity.

    Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, the previous comment was for the previous post. Mobile internet isn't all that exciting :X

    Get me this book!

    ReplyDelete